How and when to submit a weekly claim
After you apply for unemployment benefits, you must submit a weekly claim the next week in order to begin receiving benefits. Then, you must submit a claim each week until you want your benefits to stop.
How to submit
Go to the "Weekly claim questions" page for tips on filing your weekly claim.
Submit your weekly claim online for the fastest results. After logging in, you will see a message in Account alerts. Click that link and follow the directions. Learn more in the eServices User Guide.Log in
When to submit
- If submitting online, anytime between 12:00 a.m. on Sunday, and 11:59 p.m. on Saturday.
- If submitting by phone, use the automated system (12 a.m. Sunday – 4 p.m. Friday, unless Friday is a holiday) or speak with a claims agent. For current claims center contact information and hours go to: https://esd.wa.gov/unemployment/unemployed-workers-contact
- Every week you want to claim benefits. The first week is your waiting week. You must submit a weekly claim for this week, but you will not be paid for it.
- If you didn't apply for unemployment benefits until near the end of a week, give us two business days to process your application before submitting your first weekly claim the following week.
You should submit a weekly claim every week, even if you're waiting to:
- Find out if you qualify for benefits.
- Have wages and hours added to your claim.
- Appeal a denial of benefits.
Your "waiting week"
In most cases, the first weekly claim will be counted as your "waiting week." No unemployment benefits are paid for your waiting week. Then, your second and subsequent weekly claims may trigger benefit payment if you are eligible for payment. Note: If you applied for unemployment and already served a waiting week within the past year due to a previous period of unemployment; you don't have to serve another waiting week.