Receive your unemployment benefits by debit card
Please note: You may choose to receive your unemployment benefits by direct deposit or on a debit card. Prior to choosing, you must review the debit card disclosure information that explains all the fees relating to the benefits card program.
The U.S. Bank ReliaCard® is a reloadable, prepaid Visa® debit card issued by U.S. Bank. It provides an electronic option for receiving your benefit payments. It is not a credit card but works similarly to other debit cards.
Once funds are added to the card, you can use it to pay bills and make online, phone or mail-order purchases. You can also get cash back with purchases at participating merchants or withdraw cash at U.S. Bank ATMs, ATMs in the MoneyPass network and at participating Visa member bank branches. The amounts of purchases, bill payments or cash withdrawals are automatically deducted from the available balance on the card.
Advantages of receiving benefit payments on a debit card
- Fast: Your money is automatically loaded to your account.
- Save time: Easy and quick access to your funds without waiting in line to cash or deposit a check.
- Convenient: Make purchases anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, including retail stores, grocery stores, restaurants and pharmacies. And withdraw cash at ATMs.
- Secure: No need to carry large amounts of cash.
- Save money: No more going to a check casher.
- Track spending: Account information and customer service 24 hours a day.
- Purchasing power: Enjoy the prestige and purchase protection given to Visa-branded cardholders, without a credit check.
- Reliable: Receive your money on time. No more lost or stolen checks.
- Safe: Funds are FDIC insured and are protected by Visa Zero Liability.
You are generally protected from all liability for unauthorized transactions with Zero Liability. You must call the number on the back of your Card immediately to report any unauthorized use. Certain conditions and limitations may apply. See your Cardholder Agreement for details
How to sign up for a debit card
You can sign up for a debit card at the time you apply for unemployment benefits or after you’ve applied.
NOTE: Your ReliaCard prepaid debit card remains valid for three years (36 months). Don't throw it away! Keep your card until the expiration date of the card has passed in case you open another unemployment claim within the three-year window.
To sign up online
Sign into eServices. Click Settings in the upper right. Then choose Update payment information under I want to and follow the instructions.
To sign up by phone
Call the Unemployment Claims Center to speak to a claims agent. Call 800-318-6022 Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. except holidays.
Frequently asked questions | Information you’ll receive when your debit card is mailed to you
The ReliaCard is issued by U.S. Bank National Association pursuant to license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. © 2022 U.S. Bank. Member FDIC.