Pandemic-era overpayment waiver update
Updated Dec. 22, 2022
The Employment Security Department has developed new rules for waiving overpayments from weeks claimed during the COVID-19 pandemic — between Feb. 2, 2020, to Sept. 4, 2021. We made these rules using federal guidance. ESD cannot waive all overpayments. But we are looking for every opportunity to provide relief to those severely impacted by these overpayments.
We are addressing waivers in three steps:
- Step 1. A new pandemic-era overpayment waiver request form.
- Step 2. Automatic blanket waivers of some pandemic-era overpayments.
- Step 3. Individual review of pandemic-era overpayment waiver requests.
We expect the first and second step to start in the first quarter of 2023.
Waiver process steps
We understand owing money is stressful and you may be wondering what to do next. If you have an overpayment from the pandemic era:
- Step 1. Starting in the first quarter of 2023, you will be able to go online at esd.wa.gov and fill out a waiver request form. Anyone with a pandemic-era overpayment can submit the form.
- Step 2. In the first quarter of 2023, we will also issue blanket waivers to people who qualify for some types of overpayments. If we give you one of these waivers, we will send you a letter to let you know.
- Step 3. If you did not qualify for a blanket waiver, we will review your waiver request form. This process will take time, but we will complete these reviews in 2023. We will let you know if your application shows that you qualify for a waiver or not.
You might want to start a repayment plan now
While you wait to hear about your waiver request, you can set up a payment plan to start repaying your overpayment. You can set up a repayment plan by calling the Employment Security Collections Unit at 866-697-4831.
Interest on your overpayment
If we waive your overpayment, we will also waive any interest associated with that overpayment. If you do not qualify for a waiver, you will need to pay interest on any overpayment for a regular unemployment claim. You will not have to pay interest on overpayments for PUA, PEUC or FPUC claims.
- PUA – Pandemic Unemployment Assistance
- PEUC – Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation
- FPUC – Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation
We will continue to provide updates as we progress through the steps of this process.