Lo sentimos. Aún no hemos traducido esta página al español. Avísenos si desea que esto sea una prioridad y traduciremos la página lo antes posible.

We're sorry. We have not yet translated this page into Spanish. Please let us know if you want us to make it a priority and we will work to translate it as soon as possible.

Solicitar traducción Request translation

Gracias, su solicitud ha sido presentada. Thank you, your request has been submitted.

Electronic filing frequently asked questions

Please note: The following information is for unemployment taxes only.

For more information about Paid Family and Medical Leave premiums, visit the website.

Last updated June 2022


Q. How do I file my quarterly tax reports electronically in Washington state?
Employer Account Management Services (EAMS) is a full-service, online tool for filing, paying and managing your unemployment tax account.

Q. When are my reports and unemployment taxes due?
You must file all of your unemployment tax and wage reports and pay your taxes by the last day of the month following the last day of each quarter. If you file a late report, we will charge you a penalty. When a due date falls on a weekend or state holiday, your report may be postmarked the following business day. For more specific information about tax due dates, see WAC 192-310-020. Reimbursable-account payments are due one month after the taxable-account schedule, which is posted below.

Quarter one (Q1)


Q4 taxes due Jan. 31



Q1 ends March 31

Quarter two (Q2)


Q4 taxes due April 30



Q2 ends June 30

Quarter three (Q3)


Q4 taxes due July 31



Q3 ends Sept. 30

Quarter four (Q4)


Q3 taxes due Oct. 31



Q4 ends Dec. 31


Q. How do employers mail overnight documentation (unemployment tax reports/payments) to U.S. Bank (ESD Lockbox provider)?
A. Starting July 1, 2022
, when employers want to overnight documentation (tax reports/payments) to U.S. Bank, they should use only the United States Postal Service (USPS). USPS will deliver overnight items to the U.S. Bank lockbox at P.O. Box 84137, Seattle, WA 98124-5437. 

Once I file using an electronic option, must I always use that same reporting method?
A. No, you may choose the option that best suits the needs of your business. However, if you file using an electronic method for two consecutive quarter, you will no longer receive paper forms in the mail.

Q. Do I need to sign-up or register to use an electronic filing method?
A. Yes. To use Employer Account Management Services (EAMS), you must create a SecureAccess Washington account because EAMS contains confidential data.

Q. How do I calculate excess wages?

A. Every year we establish a maximum taxable wage amount or wage base. When an employee's year-to-date wages exceed that wage base, the wages are considered excess wages and are not taxable.


If an employee earned $15,000 per quarter and if the taxable wage base was $42,100, excess wages are calculated as follows:

Quarter Quarterly Wages Taxable Wages Excess Wages
1 $15,000 $15,000 $0
2 $15,000 $15,000 $0
3 $15,000 $12,100 $2,900
4 $15,000 $0 $15,000
TOTALS $60,000 $42,100 $17,900


Q. I receive an error message when I attempt to enter a Social Security number in EAMS. How do I correct this so I can continue filing?
A. If you receive an error message in EAMS and you can’t get a correct SSN in time to file, enter zeroes for all SSN digits. If that doesn’t work, leave the SSN blank in order to continue filing. However, you might get a penalty for the incomplete report.

Q. What is an Automated Clearing House (ACH) debit?
A. The ACH debit method allows you to transfer funds by authorizing us to electronically withdraw funds from your bank account.

Your account will be debited only upon your initiation, only for the amount you specify and on the date you specify.