File your weekly claimAfter you apply for unemployment benefits, you must file at least one weekly claim in order to begin receiving benefits. Then, you must file a claim each week until you want your benefits to stop.
How to file
- File online; or
- Call 800-318-6022 to use the automated phone system; or
- Call 800-365-8969 if you are a TTY user.
When to file
- Anytime between Sunday at 12:00 a.m. through Friday at 5 p.m. (unless Friday is a holiday).
- Every week you want to claim benefits. (The first week is your waiting week. You must file a claim for this week, but you will not be paid for it.)
You should file even if you’re waiting to:
- Find out if you qualify for benefits.
- Have wages and hours added to your claim.
- Appeal a denial of benefits.
- Pages 12-14 of the Handbook for Unemployed Workers (PDF, 2.9MB).
- Video instructions for submitting a weekly claim.
- What to do if you miss a week: learn how to reopen your claim.