File your weekly claim
Attention: New hours at Unemployment Insurance Claims Centers
To improve our ability to serve customers in the face of workload challenges, our phone lines for speaking to an agent will now be available between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. The remainder of the day, agents will respond to claimants who have been waiting to speak to them.
This change also means you must also file weekly claims by 4 p.m. the last business day of the week. Other automated services are still available during regular hours.
If you have questions about this change, please review our “Questions & Answers.”
After you apply for unemployment benefits, you must file a weekly claim at the beginning of the next week in order to begin receiving benefits. Then, you must file a claim each week until you want your benefits to stop.
How to file
- File online; or
- Call 800-318-6022 to use the automated phone system; or
- Call 800-365-8969 if you are a TTY user.
When to file
- Anytime between midnight on Sunday through Friday at 4 p.m. (unless Friday is a holiday).
- Every week you want to claim benefits. (The first week is your waiting week. You must file a weekly claim for this week, but you will not be paid for it.)
You should file a weekly claim every week, even if you’re waiting to:
- Find out if you qualify for benefits.
- Have wages and hours added to your claim.
- Appeal a denial of benefits.
- Pages 12-14 of the Handbook for Unemployed Workers (PDF, 2.9MB).
- Video instructions for submitting a weekly claim.
- What to do if you miss a week: Learn how to reopen your claim.
- If you were blocked from filing your weekly claim.