Skip Navigation

Printer-friendly version

1099-G information

Every January we begin mailing Form 1099-G (Statement for Recipients of Unemployment Compensation Payments) to people paid unemployment-insurance benefits during the prior calendar year. Starting the middle of January through April 30 each year you can also get your prior year tax information:

By phone: Call 800-318-6022 and select option #5 after you input your Social Security number and your PIN.

Online access: Through the weekly claim page, log in with your Social Security number and your PIN.

If you were issued more than one 1099-G, you will get a total amount that includes all 1099-Gs.

Address changes that occurred after December 31 are not reflected on the 1099-Gs. The post office will forward 1099-Gs, but only if you provide them with a forwarding address.

Ask for a 1099-G copy

To get 1099-G information, you can use one of the following procedures:

If you have not received a 1099-G by the end of January, you can request a duplicate copy. Please do not request the duplicate copy until the end of January. If you need a duplicate copy, you must submit a written request and forward it to us by mail, fax, or email.

Please indicate in your written request if you would like your copy emailed or mailed to you.

Employment Security Department
Attn: UI Imaging/1099
PO Box 19019
Olympia, WA 98507-0019
Toll-free fax: 800-301-1796

  • Mail or fax: A written request must include your:
    • Name.
    • Social Security number (SSN) or customer identification number (ID).
    • Current mailing address.
    • Date of birth.
    • Telephone number.
    • Signature.
      Do not include your four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN).
  • Email: Please note that email is not secure. You should not include your Social Security number in the email request. We should be able to locate your claim information without using your Social Security number. If we need to contact you, we'll use the phone number, address or email address you provide. We will mail you the duplicate copy unless you request that we send it by email. Please provide your:
    • Full name including middle initial.
    • Customer identification number (ID). (What is this? Find the answer in the FAQ.)
    • Date of birth.
    • Highest level of education completed.
    • Phone number including area code.
    • Current address.
      Do not include your four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN).

NOTE: You need a personal identification number (PIN) to access your 1099-G information. If you need help establishing or resetting your PIN, call the claims center.

For tax filing information, please contact your local IRS office. You can also call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040. Prior to calling the IRS, it may be helpful if you have copies of your previous year's tax records.

The amount on the 1099-G form does not include any overpayments or adjustments to claims. You must resolve any differences with the IRS using receipts or other records to support your tax return. If you have questions about how to report the adjustments to IRS, call your local IRS office.

The IRS toll-free number for general tax questions is 800-829-1040. Other IRS toll-free numbers can be found in local telephone directories, or you can visit the IRS Web site.

Filing taxes

Note: If you had federal income tax withheld from your unemployment benefits, the IRS does not require you to submit a copy of the 1099-G with your tax return.

If you file your tax return electronically, you will need to identify the agency which paid you the benefits:

Employment Security Department
State of Washington
PO Box 9046
Olympia, WA 98507-9046

Federal I.D. 91-1762161

NOTE: Some commercial electronic filing programs may require an agency phone number. You can use the 800-318-6022 number.

Connect with Employment Security
Twitter icon FaceBook icon Blog icon