Governor's Committee on Disability Issues and Employment (GCDE)
What we do
We promote equality, opportunity, independence and full participation in life for people with disabilities. Our members represent a wide range of constituent groups, geographical perspectives, ethnic origins and cultural heritage. Together, we:
- Advise Governor Inslee, the legislature and state agencies on policies that affect people with disabilities.
- Monitor legislation to assure equal opportunity and access for employment, education, healthcare and public services. Promote understanding of the needs and potential of people with disabilities, offering information and awareness training to the public.
- Recognize employers who demonstrate leadership in employing people with disabilities.
- Provide training and technical assistance to the business community to promote employment opportunities and awareness of disability issues.
- Conduct our activities in barrier-free environments and use appropriate auxiliary aids and services to ensure effective communication.
We are soliciting nominations for the 2015 Governor’s Employer Awards!
The statewide Awards Program seeks nominations acknowledging employers who demonstrate exemplary hiring practices for people with disabilities. Our goal is to bring visibility to the value of hiring workers with disabilities and to showcase these achievements which serve as models to their peers and associates. We are also seeking nominations for the Governor’s Trophy in Memory of Carolyn Blair Brown which is the highest honor presented to an individual with a disability in Washington State.
The 2015 Governor’s Employer Awards Nomination Form can be downloaded from the link below. For more information contact GCDEawards@esd.wa.gov or 509-482-3854.
How can we help you?
Get a list of our recommended resources, find out more about our work and learn how you can join us in our efforts to improve the quality of life for people with disabilities.